The Dangers of Coca Cola
The world is addicted to Coca-Cola. Each day, 1.6 billion cans and bottles of the sickly brown liquid are gulped down, making it the globe’s most recognised brand. Ever since it was first concocted as a brain tonic in 1886 (designed to treat ‘sick headaches, neuralgia, hysteria and melancholy’), the makers of Coca-Cola have been secretive about what goes into their drink.
American pharmacist and Coke founder Asa Chandler was so concerned that the recipe could fall into the wrong hands he reportedly never wrote it down. That secrecy lives on today. Coca-Cola insists only two people alive know the formula, that they never travel on the same plane in case it crashes and that the list of ingredients is locked in a bank vault.
While the recipe for Coke is surrounded by the kind of mystique there are apparent health warnings to it use. Coke contains an astonishing ammount of sugar.
For optimal body composition, sugar is absolutely more trouble than it is worth. Eliminating sugar is the best choice if you want to get and stay lean, prevent diabetes and avoid a host of health problems, including cancer, hypertension, heart disease, and accelerated aging. It’s not that sugar directly causes these health problems, but we eat WAY too much of it every day, making us fat and degrading our health. Sugar should be used as a delicacy in small quantities once a week, but the average American eats 22 to 28 teaspoons of added sugars A DAY—that’s 350 to 450 calories, or nearly a pound a week, that few people can afford.
Many people think that sugar is okay in moderation, or that there are sweeteners that are better for us because they are raw, natural, or come from a plant. Just because it’s raw and plant-based doesn’t mean it won’t make you fat! Too much sugar than a individual can comfortably tolerate is dangerous. With coca cola there is also a whole host of other nasty chemicals and toxins that the body has to deal with. In fact the sugar is the least of the human bodies concern. The human body is a extremely clever machine and the likelihood is if excess sugar ios consumed in the form of a fizzy drink with lots of other foreign chemicals the sugar will be dealth with extremely efficiently entering the blood stream and sent straigh to fat cells. Yes, to fat cells so you get FATTER. The human body can then click to survival mode and aim to get rid of the foreign chemicals in the cola.
How much sugar each individual can tolerate is unique to the individual and depends upon a variety of factors which include; body fat, lean mass, activity levels and insulin sensitivity. Body fat, lean mass and insulin sensitivity can all be tested by booking a consultation with a Biosignature practitioner. They not only be able to measure your tolerance to high GI carbohydrates such as sugar, but als carbohydrates in general. We offer this service at SOS Personal Training.
In my personal training business I am in contact with people who on a daily basis want me to help them improve their body composition. Understanding their relationship with carbohydrates is the most important factor in maximising somebodies body shape. Too much of the wrong carbohydrates at the wrong time will lead to insulin spiking, energy slumps and fat storage. Eating the correct ammount of carbohydrates at the correct time will lead to increases in lean muscle mass, reductions in body fat, increased energy, recovery and repair. Everyone is unique. Let me explain further: I have several clients that could comfortably drink a few cans of coca cola post workout and get leaner. Yes, it's true!! Their bodies are efficient at dealing with the insulin surge and they have the muscle mass to cope with such a spike. Their livers are also cleansed and detoxified and could flush out the toxins effectively. Not that I would recommend coca cola to a client, by any means. There are far more effective ways to replenish glycogen after a workout. I am just giving you a example of how becoming healthy is the most important factor and when we are healthy we can process bad food choices, toxins, excess sugar more effectively.
Even if you are fit, strong and healthy drinking coca cola is not a effective way to stay in that state. As I mentioned above a healthy body is a fit and lean one. You can not be overweight and carry excess body fat and consider yourself healthy. People who are overweight have larger and more fat cells. Restricting sugar intake is my number one tip in resetting your insulin sensitivity. So that 100% means no coca cola!!
If you think drinking diet coke is a healthier option then think again. Diet coke contains aspartame (aspartylphenylalanine-methyl-ester) that comes with a whole host of massive problems.
- Aspartame triggers Migraine Headaches This even happened to me!. The Usenet is filled with posts by people who have pinned their migraines down to aspartame/Nutrasweet consumption.
- Aspartame 40% Aspartic Acid is an "excitotoxin" in the brain and excites neurons to death, i.e. it kills brain cells and causes other nerve damage.
- Aspartame breakdown products attack the bodies tissues and create Formaldehyde which builds up in the tissues forever. Remember the smelly, eye watering fumes from the frogs you dissected in school? They were preserved with Formaldehyde! Formaldehyde is thought to cause cancer. The American Bottlers Association did not want the FDA to approve Aspartame because of what the test report showed. But the FDA approved it anyway!
- Aspartame breaks down to its poison constituents at 86 degrees (Aspartic Acid 40%, Phenylalanine 50%, and Methanol 10%). Remember your stomach is at 98.6 degrees! Therefore you should never use Aspartame/Nutrasweet in hot beverages or cooked foods such as Jello. How the FDA allows this remains a mystery. There is mounting evidence that the "Burning Mouth Syndrome" experienced by the Desert Storm troops was actually Methanol poisoning from the Diet Coke they drank lots of, after being exposed to desert temperatures.
- Aspartame is a brain drug that stimulates your brain so you think that the food you're eating tastes sweet. If you pay attention you'll notice that when using Aspartame/Nutrasweet, everything you eat at the same time also tastes sweet! This may be why Aspartame/Nutrasweet causes you to crave carbohydrates. Hence, you won't lose weight using it.
BTW, cyclamates got pulled off the market in the 70's in the US (but not Canada or the rest of the world) because the sugar industry saw too much of their market disappear.
So in summary coca cola will certainly affect some people more than others in terms of the effect it has on body composition, but one thing is certain is that it is dangerous for everyone. The huge amount of sugar is extremely dangerous, but it's the other chemicals and toxins that are the main problem. As bad as coca cola is, diet coke is even worse with aspartame being extremely dangerous and lots of other artificial preservatives and artificial colourings. I think the take home is this, 'The further we move away from mother nature, the closer we move towards disease'.