Cashew Cheese and Pomegranate Filled Acorn Squash
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 acorn squash, cut in half
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional – tastes great still w/o it)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Place raw cashews in a jar or glass and cover with water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place acorn squash cut side down on a baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until squash is soft when you press the skin of the squash.
- Once squash is cooked, scoop out the seeds and excess strings.
- Remove cashews from water and place in a blendtec or food processor to puree. Once the cashews begin to break down, add water, lemon juice, garlic powder, nutritional yeast (again, optional) and a bit of salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. The longer it goes, the smoother it will get. You are welcome to add more water to make the cheese a creamier consistency.
- Top acorn squash with cashew cheese and some pomegranate seeds. Scoop and eat. Perfect afternoon fall snack.